Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Internet History

Before delving into our readings, I thought it appropriate to do an inventory of my experience with the Internet. Believe it or not, I didn't start emailing et al. until second year university. Even then, I preferred face-to-face communication with my friends. Any research I did was at the UBC library; articles were not yet in full-text online, although catalogues did become available online as I completed my graduate work in art therapy. It was not until my Masters of Education that I started doing the majority of literature reviews on-line. Why not? I could do it in my pyjamas on the couch next to my dogs, instead of a deadly quiet and cold library. I have taken four on-line university courses, and I still prefer face-to-face communication with my colleagues supplemented by on-line dialogue.
Other than research, I originally used the Internet exclusively for email. As tends to happen, friends and family spread out across the country and email provided an easy way for asynchronous sharing of thoughts and photos. Both my parents are quite tech-savvy despite my mom's initial fear of the Internet. It amazed me that she needed help setting up an email account when she was using complicated animation programs such as Final Cut Pro to finish her short film.
Now I use the Internet mainly for quick access to information, communication and to read my favourite blogs. It is also a planning tool, whether for gmaps, finding phone numbers, checking in at the airport, or tracking packages that go missing. I definitely tread the middle path when it comes to being 'connected.' I don't Twitter because I am already distracted enough at is. I reply to Facebook invitations, but I don't have time to update my profile. In summary, I use the Internet on a need-to-know basis. And I don't check my phone in the middle of a dinner party. Netiquette, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment